eHarmony is committed to protecting your privacy. eHarmony will only collect, use, disclose and store any personal information in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act") and this privacy statement.
This privacy statement discloses the privacy practices for the eHarmony.co.uk website, which may be accessed through www.eHarmony.co.uk,
or through related URL's such as http://www.eHarmony.co.uk/singles/.
This privacy statement (together with the eHarmony Terms and Conditions of Service and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. By agreeing to use eHarmony's products and services you agree that you will allow eHarmony to use your personal information together with any sensitive personal information, such as your ethnic origin, in conformity with the processes set out in the eHarmony Terms and Conditions of Service and this privacy statement.
For the purpose of the Act, the data controller is eHarmony UK Ltd. of BM Box 5904, London WC1N 3XX UK.
What Information We Collect
The types of information that we collect fall under two general categories: personally identifiable information (PII) and non-personally identifiable information (non-PII). PII consists of any information which can be used to specifically identify you as an individual, whereas non-PII consists of aggregate information or any information that does not reveal your identity. The following sections describe how your PII and non-PII are collected by us, and how we use such information.
How We Collect and Use Information
- Log Files.
Any time you visit the eHarmony website, we gather certain information about your use of our website (such as your IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks) to analyze trends, administer the site, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. For example, we log your IP address for system administration purposes. IP addresses are logged to track a user’s session. This gives eHarmony an idea of which parts of our site users are visiting. We do not link any of the information in our log files to any other information that would enable us to determine your actual identity. This means that a user’s session will be tracked, but the user will be anonymous. We will only link your log files to your personal details, if necessary and in exceptional circumstances, for internal troubleshooting and system performance purposes. We do not share your log files externally.
- eHarmony Cookies.
We use “cookies” to keep track of some types of information while you are visiting our website or using our services. Cookies are very small files placed on your computer, and they allow us to count the number of visitors to our website and distinguish repeat visitors from new visitors. They also allow us to save user preferences and track user , so that we can continue to develop and improve our service offering. We also use cookie data collected during your visit(s) to our site to recognise you when you visit third party sites that we have partnered with so that we can show you eHarmony advertisements that we think may interest you on those sites (“Targeted Ads”). You always have the right to decide whether to accept or decline cookies, whether for Targeted Ads purposes or otherwise. This is described in more detail in the section below.
- Session and Persistent Cookies.
Session cookies are temporary and will be erased after you close your browser. Persistent cookies remain on your hard drive unless you manually delete them or until expiration after a set period of time. The primary purposes of persistent cookies are to make logging in to your account an easier process and for performance analytics by us or a trusted partner. First and third party cookies may be session or persistent.
- First Party Cookies.
First party cookies are placed by us on your computer for a variety of purposes including website functionality, tracking length of visitor stay and number of unique visitors to the website, and evaluating the popularity of specific site offerings.
- eHarmony first party cookies include:
||1st Party Session
||Site performance monitoring
||1st Party Session
||1st Party Session
||1st Party Session
||Identifies each unique computer or device accessing the site.
||1st Party Session
||1st Party Session
||User language preference
||1st Party Persistent
- Web Beacons.
“Web beacons” (also known as “clear gifs” and “pixel tags”) are small transparent graphic images that are often used in conjunction with cookies in order to further personalize our website for our users and to collect a limited set of information about our visitors. We may also use web beacons in email communications in order to understand the behaviour of our customers. We do not link the web beacons to any information that would enable us to determine the actual identity of any individual.
- Third Party Cookies and Targeted Advertising.
We may use third-party advertising agencies or other service providers to serve ads on our website on behalf of eHarmony or third-party advertisers (e.g., retailers of goods or services). These companies may employ cookies and beacons (also known as single pixel gifs or action tags) to measure advertising effectiveness and to collect information about your use of the eHarmony site to serve you with advertising better tailored to your interests. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and beacons is anonymous and does not enable them to determine your actual identity. Some of these third-party advertising agencies may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative and/or the Internet Advertising Bureau, which offer you the option to choose whether to receive targeted ads from their member agencies at http://www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp and http://www.youronlinechoices.co.uk, respectively. We will only share your information with third parties in the ways defined in this privacy statement.
- eHarmony third party cookies include:
||3rd Party Persistent
||3rd Party Session
||Marketing campaign performance tracking
||3rd Party Persistent
||Marketing Display Preference
- Your Cookie Choices.
Other Information We Collect
- Registration/Subscription Questionnaires and Personality Profiles.
When you register for or subscribe to any of eHarmony’s services, we collect a wide variety of information which we use in order to better understand your personality, find compatible matches which offer the highest possible chance of a successful long-term relationship, or help you grow and strengthen your most important relationships. Based on your answers to our proprietary questionnaires, such as for our Singles product, we build a personality profile which we then use to offer you compatible matches in our Singles service. Your individual responses to the questions in our intake questionnaires will be held strictly confidential. However, you may choose to share the personality profile we create for you as a result of having completed the intake questionnaire with other users or matches, by clicking on the “My Settings” page on your home page and clicking on “Share Settings” to make adjustments. Information collected during the intake questionnaire which may be shared with other users of eHarmony Singles service will be displayed in a strictly anonymous manner with no personally identifying details, and will only be shown to potential match candidates.
- Aggregate Information.
In addition to the personality profile described above, we collect certain information from you, such as your first name, location, age, occupation, height, ethnicity, and religion, in order to provide more details about you to your matches and users of eHarmony’s services. By providing such information to us, you acknowledge that eHarmony has the right to disclose such information to other users in connection with eHarmony’s services. You may choose to provide us with your photo(s) or video(s) and by providing us such content, you agree that we may make them available to your match candidates and users of eHarmony services. If you are using our community services, such as Advice, you are in full control of what aggregate information will be disclosed to other visitors. We do not disclose your PII to your match candidates or other users of eHarmony’s services.
- Purchase Information.
eHarmony offers, among other services, a subscriber-based service to users seeking partners, as well as retail sale of products related to successful relationships and personal growth. To process subscriptions or product purchases, we may collect your name, billing address, phone number, email address, shipping address and credit card information. Such information is used primarily to process your order or as otherwise described herein. Credit card transactions are processed through industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) by a third party, which only uses your information for that purpose.
- E-mails and Telephone Calls.
- Demographic and Profile Data.
Demographic and profile data is also collected at our site. We use this data to tailor our visitors’ experience at our site, showing them content that we think they might be interested in, and displaying the content according to their preferences. Some of this information (i.e., customer demographic information) may be shared with advertisers on a non personally identifiable basis.
- Online Survey Data.
We may periodically conduct voluntary member surveys. We encourage our members to participate in such surveys because they provide us with important information regarding the improvement of our services. You may also volunteer for certain surveys that we may offer to our users, and any additional rules regarding the conduct of such surveys will be disclosed to you prior to your participation. We do not link the survey responses to any PII, and all responses are anonymous.
- Information Regarding Your Friends.
eHarmony encourages you to refer a friend to our service by sending us a friend’s name and email address. We will keep this information in our database, and send that person a one-time email containing your name and inviting them to visit our site. We will not send them additional emails unless they request more promotional emails or if they sign up for our services. This email will also include a quick and easy way for them to remove their information from our database, if they desire. We ask that you do not abuse this feature by entering names and addresses of those who would not be interested in eHarmony. You may also give gift memberships to your friends, in which case we will use your friends’ email address that you provide in order to deliver the gift. Upon subscribing, your friends can change their email preferences via the “My Settings” tab and the “Account Settings” link on their eHarmony home page.
- Public Forums.
Our Advice blog, which is made up of posts that are relevant to dating and relationships, is available to our users and visitors. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in the comments section of any Advice post becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personally identifying information. Please consult our Community Guidelines when posting comments on the Advice discussion boards. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at eHadvicealerts@eHarmony.co.uk. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
- Use for Research.
In addition to the uses outlined above, by using eHarmony.co.uk, you agree to allow eHarmony to use anonymized information from you and your experiences through the Services to continue eHarmony’s research into successful relationships and to improve the Services. This research, conducted by psychologists and behaviour research scientists, may be published in academic journals. However, all of your responses will be kept anonymous, and no PII will ever be published. You can find out more about the standards we follow in conducting scientific research by clicking here.
Mobile Device Additional Terms
- Mobile Device If you use a mobile device to access our site or download any of our applications, we may collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system and version information, and IP address.
- Geo-Location Information. We do not ask you for, access or track any location-based information from your mobile device at any time while downloading or using our Mobile Apps or services.
- Push Notifications. We send you push notifications if you choose to receive them for notifying you of matches for our singles service, letting you know when someone has sent you a message, or for other service-related matters. If you wish to opt-out from receiving these types of communications you may turn them off at the device level.
Disclosure of Your Information to Third Parties
- Disclosure By Law. You acknowledge and agree that we may disclose information you provide if required to do so by law, at the request of a third party, or if we, in our sole discretion, believe that disclosure is reasonable to (1) comply with the law, requests or orders from law enforcement, or any legal process (whether or not such disclosure is required by applicable law); (2) protect or defend eHarmony’s, or a third party’s, rights or property; or (3) protect someone’s health or safety, such as when harm or violence against any person (including you) is threatened.
- Disclosure to Protect Abuse Victims. Notwithstanding any other provision of this privacy statement or our Terms and Conditions of Service, we reserve the right, but have no obligation, to disclose any information that you submit to the services, if in our sole opinion, we suspect or have reason to suspect, that the information involves a party who may be the victim of abuse in any form. Abuse may include, without limitation, elder abuse, child abuse, spousal abuse, neglect, or domestic violence. Information may be disclosed to authorities that we, in our sole discretion, deem appropriate to handle such disclosure. Appropriate authorities may include, without limitation, law enforcement agencies, child protection agencies, or court officials. You hereby acknowledge and agree that we are permitted to make such disclosure.
- Disclosure to Trusted Third Parties By Us. We may share your non-PII with third parties, but not in a manner that would reveal your identity. We may share your PII, sometimes in conjunction with your non-PII, with service providers that may be associated with us to perform functions on our behalf. For example, outsourced customer care agents or technology assistants may need access to your information to perform services for you. Your information will be treated as private and confidential by such service providers and not used for any other purpose than we authorize. In addition, from time to time, we may share PII (such as e-mail or mailing address) about our user base with carefully selected third parties, so they can offer goods and services that we believe may be of interest to our users. If you do not wish to receive offers from our trusted partners, you can change your e-mail preferences at any time by following the steps outlined in the “Choice/Opt-Out” section below.
- Information Transferred As a Result of Sale of Business. As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets and, depending on the transaction, your PII may be one of the transferred assets. In the event that we are acquired by another company, your PII may be part of the assets transferred to the acquiring party. If this occurs, you will be notified if there are any material changes to the way your PII is collected or used.
We will only share your information with third parties in the ways defined in this privacy statement.
Our age restrictions are set forth in our Terms and Conditions of Service. We do not target our site or service to children under the age of 13, and any information we may receive from users we believe to be under the age of 13 will be purged from our database.
We have extensive security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information stored in our database. These measures include the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) technology during credit card transactions and administrative access to site data, as well as other proprietary security measures which are applied to all repositories and transfers of user information. We will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, but given that no information transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and hence accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.
Links to or Access from Other Sites
eHarmony is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other websites that may be linked to this site or of any third party advertisers.
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
We generally retain your PII only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is used, or required by law. As an eHarmony member, you may use the following options for removing your information from our database or if you wish to opt out of receiving future communications.
- Go to our website http://www.eharmony.co.uk and select our help link at the bottom right portion of the page. You will then be able to search our FAQ's to find the answer you are looking for, or send us an e-mail and our Customer Care agents will be happy to assist you; or
- Send mail to the following postal address:
eHarmony, UK Ltd.
BM Box 5904, London WC1N 3XX
- You can also opt-out of receiving promotional emails and newsletters by clicking on “My Settings” option on your eHarmony home page, choosing the “Email Settings” link and un-checking the undesired promotions.
Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a small administration charge to meet our costs in providing you with the details of the information we hold about you. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days.
Correct/Update/Delete personal Information
eHarmony provides members with the opportunity to correct, update, or delete personal information that has been provided to us by using the methods below.
- You may change your credit card, password and other information by going to "My Settings" option on your eHarmony home page and selecting "Account Settings" link in the top navigation area;
- You can select our help link at the bottom right portion of your eHarmony home page or on the
http://www.eHarmony.co.uk website. You will then be able to search our
FAQ's to find the answer you are looking for or
send us an e-mail and our Customer Care agents will be happy to assist you; or
- You may also request an account information update by sending a detailed letter to the postal address listed above.
Acceptance of Privacy Statement
Your use of our website(s), including any dispute concerning privacy, is subject to this privacy statement and the applicable Terms and Conditions of Service.
This privacy statement was last revised on May 2, 2013.