Our Top 3 Senior Dating Tips
If you’re returning to dating after spending the majority of your life as part of a couple, it can be an understandably overwhelming prospect. You might be wondering how things have changed, nervous about going on dates or concerned about how to use online dating. But not to worry! Here are some tips to get you started.
How has dating changed?
You might have changed a bit since you last dated. The technology has changed too, but the fundamentals of dating haven’t changed much.
You might meet someone via their online profile, but ultimately, it’s still about meeting them for a drink or dinner, getting to know them and finding out if there’s a spark. You might send an email, but it’s still good manners to let someone know if you’re interested in seeing them again or not. You might text to arrange the next meeting but you’ll still look forward to your next date.
If you want to meet other senior singles, go to our senior dating page for information on how to start your new dating journey.
What to discuss on your first date? Here are a few ideas:
- Family – you might both have kids, and showing interest in one another’s family is a good way to show you’re keen to get to know them well.
- Travel – you might both have been some interesting places in your time. Share where you’ve been and where you’d like to go in the future; you might find that you have shared ambitions. It doesn’t have to be exotic!
- Favourite food – have you bonded over a shared love of food and cooking? Where can you go to indulge your culinary passions on future dates?
- Hobbies – are you both retired? How do you spend your days?
Understanding online dating
A quick primer if you’re uncertain about joining a senior dating site:
- Your profile is the most important way to communicate your personality, interests and values, so make sure you spend plenty of time on it and ask a friend to help craft it. Your picture should be recent – it’s no good posting a 10-year-old picture as it will put people off when they meet you in person. It’s best to be honest!
- You can use eHarmony’s online messaging system to communicate with matches so you don’t have to give your personal details such as phone number, address or email unless you’re comfortable. Meeting in public places for the first few dates is also a way to maintain your peace of mind.
- Posting your picture on a dating site might sound like something to worry about, but your profile will only be shown to someone who is a strong potential match for you: your profile won’t show up in Google searches.
Re-entering the dating scene after a long absence can be scary, but it’s also fun, exciting and mind-broadening. You’ll meet interesting new people and go to places you haven’t been before. It’s good to do things that challenge you, especially as you get older: it will keep you adventurous and young at heart.
If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eharmony today!Join Now