10 great second date ideas in Edinburgh
So you got through the first date, but now the pressure is really on – finding a great location for that all-important second date. Well don’t worry; Saskia Nelson of Hey Saturday has recently launched in Edinburgh and she’s got the lowdown on all the great date spots in the city
The best second dates are the ones where you put that little bit extra thought into the location; you want to show your date that you paid close attention to their likes and dislikes on the first date after all! Ideally, you want to surprise and delight them with your choice too, as it’s sure to provide a great foundation for an excellent date. With the location sorted, all you’ll need to do is focus on being interested and interesting to win them over! Here are our top picks for a great second date in Edinburgh.
The Gardener’s Cottage, photo by Jamie Ferguson, www.jkfman.com, @jkf_man
For foodie dates
If your date has expressed an interest in cooking, fine dining, baking and/or cookery programmes, then chances are you’re dating a foodie. The best way to a foodie’s heart is to take them to a restaurant that takes food very seriously. We’d recommend any of these Edinburgh restaurants:
The Gardener’s Cottage
The simple but inventive menu on offer at the Gardener’s Cottage will impress even the fussiest of foodie. The restaurant itself is also wonderfully cosy – ideal for a second date – without compromising on style. A win/win.
The Gardener’s Cottage, 1 Royal Terrace Gardens, London Road, Edinburgh EH7 5DX, 0131 558 1221, thegardenerscottage.co
If you want to impress your date with high quality food that doesn’t break the bank, then Field is for you.
Field, 41 West Nicolson Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9DB, 0131 667 7010, fieldrestaurant.co.uk
For adventurous dates
If their online dating profile (and your first date conversation) made it clear that your date is pretty sporty with a taste for adventure, then it can be a bit more challenging to impress them. You might need to get creative with one of these Edinburgh hotspots:
Midlothian Snowsports Centre
The Midlothian Snowsports Centre offers skiing and snowboarding practice sessions; consider booking private lessons for the two of you if you’re trying it for the first time.
Midlothian Snowsports Centre, Biggar Road, Hillend, Edinburgh, EH10 7DU, 0131 445 4433, midlothian.gov.uk
Book a City of the Dead tour and give your date an excuse to cuddle up to you in the scary parts.
City of the Dead tours, 0131 225 9044, cityofthedeadtours.com
Cycle the Innertube
Google Edinburgh’s Innertube cycle map is your go-to guide to off-street cycling. Pick your route, grab some snacks and head off on your bike to discover some of the lesser known parts of the city.
For quirky dates
Does you date strike you as a bit of trendsetter? Do they always like to get ahead of the crowd? Then check out these super-cool Edinburgh date ideas:
The Portobello Palm Tree
Edinburgh’s answer to Las Vegas, the Portobello Palm Tree, boasts a beer garden, a Caribbean beach hut and the eponymous palm tree, of course. Order a couple of its gin and tonic slush puppies and some fresh, spicy food from the grill, and you’ve got all the ingredients you’ll need for a great date.
The Portobello Palm Tree, 87 Portobello High Street, Edinburgh, EH15 1AW, 0131 657 5669
Hoot the Redeemer
It doesn’t get much cooler than Hoot the Redeemer. Described by its owner as a funfair for adults, the venue offers a completely original drinking experience. We don’t know about you, but we’re definitely going to try its alcoholic ice cream!
Hoot the Redeemer, 7 Hanover Street, Edinburgh, EH2 1DJ, 0131 2200 310, hoottheredeemer.com
Wild West Edinburgh
A bit of a hidden gem, the Wild West Edinburgh is the locals’ best kept secret and is sure to impress. Take a trip to Morningside’s Wild West and cuddle up for some selfies in front of the Western-style cantina.
Wild West Edinburgh, Morningside Road, Edingburgh EH10 4QC
Panda and Sons
For cocktail lovers
Does your date seem enamoured with the idea of a cocktail evening? Well, who wouldn’t be! Cocktail bars are the perfect setting for a second date, especially if you want to focus on getting to know them better.
Panda and Sons
Panda and Sons recently made it onto the list of the World’s Best Bars and is set in the basement of a barbershop. In fact, the signage even reads Panda & Son Barbershop, so be sure to warn your date so they aren’t left wandering the streets.
Panda and Sons, 79 Queen Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4NF, 0131 220 0443, pandaandsons.com
Dragonfly is a small but perfectly formed cocktail bar that has perfected tongue-in-cheek kitsch in its décor. It also has a great selection of cocktails, which the team has spent years honing, and plays host to some of Edinburgh’s best DJs, so you can hit the dance floor if everything goes well.
Dragonfly, 52 West Port, Edinburgh, EH1 2LD, 0131 228 4543, dragonflycocktailbar.com
Saskia Nelson is the talent behind the award-winning, internationally acclaimed Hey Saturday – the coolest dating photography business in the UK, which specialises in creating data photos that kick-ass and win dates for 100s of single people across London, Brighton and Edinburgh. She is also the co-founder of Irresistible Dating.
She’s been credited by Time magazine for creating the genre of dating photography and is recognised as the leading industry expert in the UK & US in all things dating photo-related. She also puts her extensive online dating experience to good use by sharing her stories and wisdom on her blog.
Are you based in Edinburgh and fancy getting your online dating profile in great shape for the summer? Then you’re in luck! We’ve got an exclusive photo shoot with Hey Saturday to give away – simply look out for our competition posts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for your chance to win!
- The competition closes at 11.59pm on 5th July 2016
- Open to legal UK residents only who are at least 18 years old at the time of entry. This promotion is not open to employees, officers, directors of eHarmony (the “Sponsor”) and its parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, and their respective families, or anyone connected with this promotion, including the third party promotional partners.
- Enter this promotion by at least one of the following methods:
1. Following @eHarmonyUK on Twitter and retweeting the competition tweet
2. Following @eHarmonyUK on Instagram and commenting below the competition image
3. Liking @eHarmonyUK on Facebook and sharing the competition post
- Limit 3 entries per person.
- Sponsor will not be liable for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit or prohibit an eligible entrant’s ability to participate in the competition. IN NO EVENT WILL THE SPONSOR BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE INTERNET SITES OR APPLICATIONS, co.uk, Twitter, or Instagram, THE DOWNLOADING FORM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITES OR APPLICATIONS.
- One entrant shall win a Revamp photo shoot worth £167 to take place at a mutually convenient time and place in Edinburgh. The Revamp photo shoot consists of up to one hour shooting time and delivery of 6 of the best images edited and lightly retouched provided as high resolution digital files.
- Entrants must be willing to travel to Edinburgh for the photo shoot. The prize does NOT include travel or accommodation nor does it cover any additional costs
- In the unlikely event that the finished product from a portrait session is unusable due to technical problems, (camera failure or exposure problems), Photographer will reshoot.
- The images chosen by Hey Saturday for editing and retouching will be final.
- The potential winner will be selected on or about 6th July 2016.
- The winner will be picked at random and contacted by the site. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received by the closing date. The drawing will be conducted by the Sponsor, whose decisions on all matters related to these official rules shall be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Winner’s name, email address and contact number will be requested for prize fulfillment and will be passed to a third party provider for prize arrangement. The winner will then be notified of further details.
- If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 48 hours of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The prize is non transferable and there are no cash alternatives. The prize can’t be used in conjunction with any other prize or offer.
- Copyright on all images is retained by Hey Saturday photography. Resulting images may be used by Hey Saturday photography for publicity purposes.
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and accordingly the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the Promoter as a result thereof.
- The prize needs to be redeemed within six months of the date of the competition
If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eHarmony today!Join Now