How to stay safe while dating online
Online dating is an exciting adventure, but it’s important not to be lulled into a false sense of security because you’re sitting behind a computer screen. Whether you’re meeting online or offline the most important thing is to keep yourself safe.
Check out our essential tips for staying safe so that you can concentrate on searching for the love of your life!
1. Keep your eyes open and trust your instincts
We put a lot of effort into ensuring your matches are genuine, but when it comes down to you assessing individual matches it’s your responsibility to stay safe. Whether you’re just starting Guided Communication or arranging to go on a date, don’t let your emotions blind your judgement.
Beware of a match who:
• Asks for money
• Gets close to you quicker than you feel is right
• Only gives vague responses
• Tells complicated stories
• Says or does anything that makes you feel uncomfortable
2. Think twice before sharing personal information
The cardinal rule here is to remember that you can’t take back any information you give out. Our Guided Communication process allows you to get to know a match at your own pace, and anonymously. Additionally, eHarmony Mail allows you to email your matches without giving out your own email address.
We also offer our Secure Call feature which enables you to call your matches without giving out your phone number. For extra security, set up an individual email address just for your online dating communication, and use your phone’s privacy settings when you call a match for the first time.
3. Do some research
At eHarmony, while we put measures in place to try and filter out members with questionable intent, we don’t do background checks. If something about a match is bothering you, google their name or workplace to see if you can verify the things they’ve told you. You’re entitled to be told the truth by your matches so don’t feel afraid to do your own research. Most importantly, use your common sense. If a match sounds too good to be true (claiming to be a millionaire, or international model) then they may well be.
4. Be first date savvy
That first meeting will be exciting, but don’t let your excitement get in the way of common sense.
• Meet in public in the day or early evening
• Tell a friend what you’re doing and where you’re going. Give them a call if you can
• Charge your mobile, and have any emergency numbers to hand
• Let your date pick you up in their car
• Meet at your home or workplace
• Get drunk, or leave your drink with your date. If your date offers to buy you a drink, make sure you can see it at all times
• Leave your belongings with your date
5. Take things at your own pace
Online dating is a great way to meet new people, at your own pace. At no point should you feel rushed or pressured – that’s why we’re so proud of our Guided Communication feature. We match you on compatibility, but you still need to get to know your match properly before you get serious.
6. Treat your match well
Treat your match as you would like to be treated. Finding love can take time, and it’s very possible you’ll communicate and meet with a few matches before you find the one. If you wish to end communication with a match, it’s only polite to let them know rather than leaving them hanging.
7. Tell us if you’re concerned
We have a team dedicated to tackling complaints against users, which we take very seriously. If you think a match is being dishonest or suspicious, email us straight away
If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eharmony today!Join Now