Let’s take a look at the dating scene for Christians in the UK and how eharmony can help you find compatible singles who share your faith.
Table of contents
What you need to understand about Christian dating
Finding a relationship when you’re a Christian comes with its own unique challenges. Here are a few.
- Belief systems – Being Christian doesn’t mean you believe in the same things or follow the same doctrine. Even singles of the same denomination can have different values and approaches to dating
- Courtship – Courtship can be stricter when it comes to Christian dating. This is particularly true for those who observe the custom of no sex before marriage. Additionally, some singles may hold other values on what level of intimacy is appropriate
- Marriage – Because of these limitations, some Christian singles can be quite focused on marriage. This can sometimes rush the relationship-building part of your dating journey
- Misconceptions – A sometimes annoying aspect of dating when you’re a Christian is how people see your relationship and the preconceived notions they hold around how you two engage and your respective roles in the relationship
- Level of involvement – Some Christians can have a very casual relationship with their church, and sometimes none at all. This can be a problem for singles who are more active in their congregation
How eharmony brings compatible Christian singles together
Here’s why so many single Christians have found success and happiness at eharmony compared to other major dating services or a more specialised Christian dating site.
A technology-driven approach to compatibility
Your dating journey at eharmony starts with our Compatibility Quiz. This simple 20-minute quiz will tell us a lot about your personality, lifestyle and relationship goals. Our Compatibility Matching System then matches you with people on our platform with whom we think you have a good chance of building a successful relationship.
Filter your matches based on your Christian dating goals
Your Match List is a good starting point. But you’ll want to narrow it down according to what’s most important to you in a relationship. You can filter matches based not only on religion but on a variety of factors such as age, desire for children, education, level of income and even hobbies.
Profiles that actually tell a story
When you’ve found some people who fit your Christian dating criteria, you can have a look at their profiles. Our profiles are designed to give a more holistic perspective of the person, so you can get a good idea of whether you share similar interests and values. They include basic biographic information, lifestyle details and a rich, fun-to-read About Me section.
Different ways to reach out and build a foundation
One of the things that makes our service distinct from a Christian dating app or other dating services is the variety of ways you can start a conversation and keep it going. If you want to send something more interesting than ‘Hello’, then you’ll enjoy our Icebreaker feature. You could also compliment something about their profile to kick things off.
5 simple Christian dating rules
Let’s explore some tips for dating and how to build a happy and committed relationship together.
Take the relationship at your own pace
There is sometimes a big emphasis on marriage when it comes to Christian dating and different people can have very different values around intimacy early in a relationship. It’s important to remember that the early stages are about getting to know each other, building trust and seeing whether you are a good fit together. It’s crucial to not rush that process.
Be up-front about your boundaries
When you’re starting a relationship, it’s only fair that you’re honest about your personal boundaries. This way there are no misunderstandings and you won’t just waste each other’s time.
Stay true to your beliefs
Never change your core beliefs, personality or boundaries for your partner. While strong relationships are built on a degree of compromise, this should not extend to those aspects of your faith and character that make you who you are. Otherwise, there may be lingering resentment down the road or you may even feel alienated from your friends and family.
Date with purpose
Christan dating works a differently from conventional dating. So, while it’s important to not become overly focused about finding a husband or wife, marriage is probably the end goal you’re working towards. If you feel a relationship isn’t going the direction you want, it’s best to end it then rather than stay out of complacency.
Get advice from people you trust
It’s a good idea to get Christian dating advice from people in your faith community who you trust and respect. This helps guide you. It also gives you perspective on how common your issues are and how to overcome them. This doesn’t have to be your pastor or priest, it can be family members, friends or other Christian couples.
Some dos and don’ts in Christian dating
Here’s a quick general list of the things you should do and some things you should avoid when you’re dating as a Christian.
- Don’t pressure your partner to move the relationship forward. This will just foster resentment and can affect their perspective. It’s important to respect their values and comfort level
- Do enjoy the process of dating itself. Just because you are dating with purpose doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride. Take things one day at a time and have fun
- Don’t have unrealistic expectations. It’s important not to enter the dating process with set ideas about what it’s meant to be like and how your partner should behave. There is no such thing as the “ideal” relationship
- Do communicate regularly. Let your partner know when things aren’t going how you want or when you need something more from them. This will help you find a middle ground and ensure you both can happily date in a way that aligns with your values
While it’s easy to see that dating for Christians comes with its challenges, it can be just as rewarding as any other relationship when built on foundations of mutual respect, communication and trust.
Try eharmony for free today.
How Christian dating works with eharmony
Your search for a great relationship has never been easier with groundbreaking overhaul of the eharmony you know and trust.