Thank you for using the eharmony service!
Please note that we offer our Service (as defined below) in different countries (you can see the list of these countries on our website) and as such, you understand that the information included in your profile will be visible to our members in all of these countries. You will also be able to search for a partner in any of these countries, not just your own country.
- Collection, processing and use of personal data
- Processing purposes
- Legal basis for the processing of personal data
- Transfer of data to third parties; service provider
- Duration of storage; retention periods
- Rights of the data subject at a glance
- Cookies & web tracking
If you have any questions or suggestions about how we use your personal data, please contact us or our data protection officer.
Our contact details are as follows:
eHarmony UK Ltd., Customer Care, BM Box 5904, London WC1N 3XX, United-Kingdom, email@example.com (email)
You can reach our data protection officer at:
Dr. Stefanie Wegener, firstname.lastname@example.org (email)
Collection, processing and use of personal data
Once you have signed up for a eharmony account, we will provide you with access to an online database over which you will be able to get know each other eharmony registered customers (also known as members) (the “eharmony Service” or “Service”). In order to provide you with the Service, we need to use your personal data. If you do not want us to use your personal data, we will not be able to provide you with the Service. You will also need to provide us with special categories of personal data (i.e. sensitive personal data), such as information about your sexual orientation). Please see below for further information about the types of personal data eharmony collects when you use our Service.
What personal data does eharmony collect from its members to fulfil the contractual relationship?
In order to register for the eharmony Service and to conclude further a Basic Membership or a Premium Membership, you will need to provide us with personal data. In addition, in order to provide you with our services (as more fully described in the General Terms and Conditions), we need to collect, process and use this personal data.
Registration process and conclusion of a Basic-Membership
In order to register for the eharmony free Service (conclusion of a “Basic Membership”), you will need to provide us with personal data without which the registration cannot be completed. Following data are mandatory:
- Gender and sex of partner sought (your sexual preference is a data regarding your sexual orientation)
- Email address
You can access eharmony’s Service with the email address and the password you have indicated (your access data).
Our Service works by providing your profile information (“profile”) and your compatibility scores to other eharmony users. In order to get the full benefit of our Service and to set up your eharmony profile, we will ask you to provide us with personal data about you. This may include information about your personal values and preferences, your appearance, and any other characteristics that are relevant for the establishment of your personality profile and in order for us to recommend potential partners (“matches”) to you. When designing your profile, you will also need to provide us with information about yourself, including text and photos. In addition, we will also collect information about you when you provide your answers to the eharmony test (“compatibility quiz”) and we will use this information to automatically create your eharmony personality evaluation (“personality profile”). Please note that although you will be able to read your personality profile, including your compatibility scores, in your profile, your personality profile is not generally publicly visible to other eharmony members. Instead, those members who will directly access your profile information will only have access to your compatibility scores.
When we ask you to provide us with information about you during the registration process, we will make it clear if this information will be kept private and will not be made available to other users. Please note that your answers to eharmony compatibility quiz are generally kept private, however, the compatibility scores that we generate from your answers will be made publicly available. Additionally, the information you voluntarily provide for hobbies and interests within the quiz will be visible to your matches in your profile, however, you may update or delete this information at any time in your profile. All other information you provide us with for or as part of your eharmony profile will be publicly visible on our website and our app to other members who use our Service, such as information that you voluntarily choose to include in your profile (such as your first name, interests, occupation, languages, etc.).
We will not be able to suggest matches for you if you do not provide us with the requested information relating to your sexual preferences (i.e. both preferred sex and gender), or the other information requested as part of the eharmony compatibility quiz. If you do not want to provide us with this information, you will not be able to use our Service.
Generally, the types of data that we will collect during the registration are as follows:
- Post Code
- Country of residence
- Date of birth
- Full name
- Number of children
- Marital status
- Education level
In addition, you may choose to provide us with sensitive information such as:
- political view
By giving us this information, you agree that we store and use this information for matching purposes. This information will allow us to further refine the match preferences and search criteria available to you when searching for a partner on our platform. This information will be disclosed in your profile, and therefore, visible to matches who visit your profile. However, please note that you do not have to provide us with this information in order to use the eharmony Service. You may change your answers to “prefer not to specify” in the religion, ethnicity and/or political view fields at any time in your profile.
You may also upload photos of yourself in your profile. Basic Members will only see a blurred version of your photos, whereas Premium Members will see your photos clearly (i.e. unblurred version). Please note that you do not have to upload any photos in order to use the eharmony Service. You may upload photos to your profile at any time, even after you completed your registration or used the Service for a period of time.
You do not have to provide us with your mobile phone number in order to use the eharmony Service. However, if you want to, you can provide it to us for an additional security measure (known as “SMS verification”). This functionality is available to all our members but only after logging in to our eharmony Service. This will allow us to carry out a further identification check to make sure that you are the right person to be using your profile – please see more on this below.
During registration via Facebook ("Facebook Login")
Alternatively, you can register to join the eharmony Service using your Facebook account. If you choose to do this, we will receive the information that we need for your registration directly from your Facebook account.
Please be aware that we have no control over the type and amount of information that Facebook will collect about you if you register for our Service using the Facebook login. If you do not want Facebook to collect information about you in relation to your use of our Service, you should not use the Facebook login.
Upon Completion of a Premium Membership
If you decide to sign up for eharmony’s Premium chargeable features (“Premium Membership) via the website (i.e. you decide to become a Premium member), we will collect your payment data during your order. However, please note that your credit card data is not stored by us, but is instead stored by a third party payment provider.
Communication with the members and our customer care
If you correspond with other eharmony members, or with eharmony customer care, we will collect and store this information. Any data contained within the messages sent between members via our Service is encrypted.
If you contact our customer care, please note the following: if you communicate with our customer care:
(1) using the online contact form: this information will be protected in transit via Transport Layer Security (TLS) transfer encryption.
(2) via email: this information will only be protected in transit via TLS transfer encryption if your email provider supports TLS transport encryption.
If you would prefer not to contact our customer care by email (for example, because you are concerned that your email provider does not support TLS encryption or the content of our email is not encrypted), please contact eharmony by post or fax instead. You will find our contact details under Contact
What information does eharmony collect for promotional purposes?
When you subscribe for our free membership (“Basic Membership”), you must enter your email address on the welcome page. If you do not opt out in the registration process, we will use this email address to send you promotional emails about eharmony’s free and chargeable products. As long as your email provider supports “Transport Layer Security” (TLS) transport encryption, these promotional emails are protected in transit via TLS transfer encryption. You can object to our use of your email address for promotional purposes upon registration and later at any time, either by: (i) clicking on the link in our emails to adjust your email notification settings, (ii) adjusting your settings in your profile, or (iii) contacting us using the information in the Contact section. You may re-subscribe to receive such promotional emails in your profile under “Notification options” at any time.
In your profile under “Notification options”, you can also choose to receive personalised matches and guidance during your eharmony membership, to help you to get the most out of the eharmony Service. You can object at any time to our use of your email address for this purpose, however if you do you will no longer receive these suggestions and guidance.
You can find out here which cookies we use for advertising purpose.
What information does eharmony collect when using the eharmony website?
Every time you access the eharmony website, we will collect your usage data. This means that, even if you have not signed up to be a eharmony member, we will collect and use this information about you. This data is sent to us by your Internet browser and is stored in log files. This data includes:
- Information about your browser type and your internet service provider, as well as your operating system (for example Windows 7, Apple OS, etc.)
- the IP address (Internet Protocol address) of the device you use to access our website or Service (for example, your computer, tablet or smartphone). We will also compare your IP address against a geo-database to collect information about your location, such as your country, state and city.
- your User identifier on the eharmony platform (only for eharmony members)
- Information about the page that you have accessed
- the date and time that you used the website
- The referrer URL (origin URL) from which you came to the page that you have accessed
- Statistics about the amount of data transmitted during your use of the website
- Status message as to whether you were successfully able to access the website
- Session identifier
- Used screen resolution
We also collect the following usage data each time a eharmony member logs in to our network (login records):
- Date and time of login
- User identifier on the eharmony platform (your email address)
- IP Address (Internet Protocol Address)
- Number of session cookies
- Session identifier
- Session participant pseudonym
Our Service works in providing you with potential partners (“matches”). These matches are presented to you in your profile and via notifications (e.g. emails), with the following information: first name, age, a photo and a link to their profile. Please note that we may present you at any time as a match to other members, including those based outside the UK and/or using one of our other eharmony platforms. As such, your first name, age photo and link to your profile will be provided to these members. Basic Members will see only your photos blurred and Premium Members will see your photos clearly.
In your profile, under “Notification options”, you may choose to receive notifications from us (e.g. emails or push messages) to alert you when some activity occurred in your account (e.g. you have received a new message or we have new matches for you). Please note that if you do not choose this notification option, your matches who have requested notifications may still receive notifications related to you (e.g. you have sent a new message or your profile is sent as a suggested new match). As such, and as mentioned above, your first name, photo, age and link to your profile may appear in such notifications.
You may also request to be informed about: (1) which matches visited your profile (“visitors of my profile”) and/or (2) if your matches are currently online (green circle if they are online, or grey circle if they are not). Please note that if you do so, the same information regarding your activity will be available to your matches who have also selected these notification options. As such, and subject to a match’s notification settings, (1) a match whose profile you visited may be informed of your visit, and (2) your matches may be notified when you are online or offline.
In addition, you are able to see the last time a match was online (“last time online”), and your matches are also able to see your last login data. This feature is set up automatically and, for technical reasons cannot be deactivated.
eharmony processes personal data of its users for the following purposes:
- To provide our services as described in our General Terms and Conditions. (The legal basis for our use of this information is contractual necessity, i.e. to provide you with the services you have asked for from eharmony.) Please note that we will also collect and use sensitive information (such as your sexual orientation and sexual preferences) to provide you with our Service.
- For the prevention of and defence against abuse. eharmony automatically collects, processes and uses the geodata and other personal data we collect during your registration and during the completion of your eharmony compatibility quiz and your eharmony profile, to check for any evidence of the misuse of our Service. This information is stored in a database under a pseudonym and is compared against empirical values. If our automated processing activities suggest that our Service has been misused, a eharmony employee will review the relevant rating and underlying clues, as well as the information in your profile (including any wording and photos you have provided) to confirm this conclusion. If another member has reported any breach of our General Terms and Conditions, a representative from our customer care will look into this to confirm the validity of those claims. Furthermore, as mentioned above, if you have provided your mobile phone number, eharmony may use this information to carry out an identity check (SMS verification) (i.e. to check that you are who you say you are). (The legal basis for these activities is the legitimate interests of eharmony and our eharmony members, to ensure that the eharmony Service is not used in a way that is in breach of our General Terms and Conditions and the law.).
- For automated price determination reasons. (The legal basis for these activities is contractual necessity.)
- To ensure that you comply with your obligations under your subscription and our General Terms and Conditions. (The legal basis for these activities is contractual necessity, but it is also within the legitimate interests of eharmony to ensure that (as applicable) you provide the agreed payment for our Service in accordance with your subscription.)
- To ensure the functionality of our Service, for analytics purposes in order to optimize and improve our Service, to prevent online fraud and abuse directed at us and our users, and to ensure the security of our information technology systems. eharmony will use technically necessary and unnecessary cookies or analysis cookies for these purposes within our website. (The legal basis for these activities is the legitimate interests of eharmony and eharmony members, to ensure our Service can be used easily and safely; and so that the quality of our website and any content on it is constantly improved.)
- To collect and evaluate usage behaviour for the purposes of sending our members interest-based advertising about our products. In order to measure the performance of these advertising campaigns (conversion tracking), we provide tracking data to third parties (such as Google and Microsoft). You will find further details under "Cookies & web tracking". (The legal basis for these activities is the legitimate interests of eharmony and other advertisers to display interest-based advertising to users and to offer users specific advertising that is tailored to their interests.)
- For the purposes of sending advertising emails and other advertisements in the form of banner advertisements on other websites relating to our own products. (The legal basis is our legitimate interests in relation to sending direct marketing about our own products.)
- For market research and understanding eharmony’s market share. (The legal basis is eharmony's legitimate interests in gaining insights into the market value of eharmony in direct comparison with third-party websites.
Legal basis for the processing of personal data
- Where we obtain your consent as our lawful basis of processing, our legal basis is point (a) of Article 6(1) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- When the processing of your personal data is required to fulfil our contractual relationship (either in relation to Basic Membership or Premium Membership), our legal basis for the processing is point (b) of Article 6(1) GDPR. This also applies to any processing of data that is required to carry out any pre-contractual actions.
- If the processing is necessary to safeguard the legitimate interests of eharmony or a third party, such as our members, and the interests, fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject do not override those legitimate interests, our legal basis for the processing is point (f) of Article 6(1) GDPR.
- When the processing of personal data is required for our own marketing (either in relation to Basic Membership or Premium Membership), the legal basis for the processing is point (f) of Article 6(1) GDPR.
Transfer of data to third parties; service provider
In addition, we may disclose your personal data to third parties where we are obliged to do so by law, a regulator or a court order.
Transfers to service providers
eharmony may use service providers when collecting or processing your personal data. eharmony will ensure that any service provider only receives that portion of your personal data that the service provider needs for their specific activity.
Generally, the service providers that we appoint are engaged as our processor; and may only use the personal data of our membersin accordance with our instructions.
Transfer of data to non-EEA countries
We may disclose your personal data to third parties or to our processors, including other entities belonging to our group of companies, who are located outside the EEA. When this happens (and before disclosing your data) we ensure that the recipient has an adequate level of protection to enable the lawful transfer of your data. For example, this may be because the recipient is in an adequate country, has self-certified to the EU-US Privacy Shield or has entered into the EU Standard Contractual Clauses; or (where permitted by law) because you have expressly consented to this transfer.
Duration of storage; retention periods
We store your data for as long as is necessary for the provision of our Service (Basic and Premium Memberships) and any associated services or where we have a legitimate interest which permits the further storage of that information. In all other cases, we will erase your personal information once it is no longer necessary, except for any information we need to retain in order to comply with any contractual or statutory (e.g. tax or commercial) retention periods (e.g. invoices).
For Basic members: You can choose to remove the data in your profile at any time. You can also erase your profile data yourself by logging in to the eharmony website and starting the deletion process. Otherwise, eharmony automatically erases personal profile data of Basic members who are inactive for 24 months.
For Premium members: Your personal data will be stored for the duration of our contractual relationship. However, we will erase your data following your request as long as there is no statutory storage obligation that applies that information. If your data is subject to a mandatory storage period, we will ensure that this information is isolated and stored until the expiry of the retention period. Once your Premium Membership is over, if you do not ask us to erase your data before your Premium subscription comes to an end, your Premium Membership will be converted into a Basic Membership. In this case, the description above relating to the retention period of Basic member data will apply.
Please note that if the deletion of your data is prevented due to a mandatory retention period, your data will be blocked and stored for no other purposes, until we can delete it.
eharmony will also store any personal data which is required to demonstrate that eharmony has lawfully complied with a valid data subject rights request within the required period.
Rights of the data subject at a glance
You have the right to access, and -under certain conditions- to rectify, erase, restrict or object to the processing of your personal data, as well as the right to data portability.
You can also object at any time to the processing of your personal data for advertising purposes ("object advertising "). Please take into account that for organisational reasons there may be a time lapse between when you submit your request and when we are able to remove your data from an ongoing campaign. Please also note that your objection will not affect the lawfulness of any processing that occurred prior to the date on which you objected to this activity.
By using our Service, you will have provided us with information about your sexual orientation (such as your gender and your sexual preferences). You can withdraw your consent to our use of this information at any time. However, please note that any withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of such data prior to the date on which you withdrew your consent. In addition, once you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer be able to provide you with matches or our Service.
By using our Service, you may have provided us with sensitive information about your religion, ethnicity and/or political view. You can withdraw your consent to our use of this information at any time. To do so, you should change your answers to “prefer not to specify” in the religion, ethnicity and/or political view fields (as appropriate) in you profile. However, please note that any withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of such data prior to the date on which you withdrew your consent.
If you would like to use any of your rights, please use the information under Contact. Please also ensure that when you do so, we will be able to clearly identify you.
Alternatively, you may use the setting options in your eharmony profile to rectify certain information that you provided during your registration, or to object to advertising. You can also delete your data from an eharmony Basic Membership yourself in your profile. However, please note that Premium Members can only delete data regarding their Premium Membership by contacting our customer care. Lastly, please note that if we cannot delete your data due to a mandatory retention period, we will block (restrict) your data until it can be deleted.
Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
You have the right to file a complaint with a data protection authority. You can contact your local data protection authority or our appointed data protection authority. This is:
The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Telephone Number: + 44 (0) 303 123 1113, Email: email@example.com.
Cookies & web tracking
A cookie is a small text file that is sent to your device when you access a website and is stored in your browser. If you then access the same webpage again, your browser will check its cookies and will recognize you as a returning user. Some cookies are automatically erased after the end of the browser session (these are “session cookies”), whereas other cookies are stored for a predetermined amount time or permanently in your browser, before they erase themselves (these are “temporary" or "permanent" cookies).
While a cookie may distinguish your device, it will not name you. Almost every website uses cookie technology.
Strictly necessary cookies
We use certain cookies to make sure that our website and our Service is easy, secure and safe to use. Without these cookies, services that you have asked for (such as a secure website and Service), would not be possible. This category of cookies includes:
- Cookies that identify or authenticate our users to ensure that our Service is secure;
- Cookies that temporarily store certain user entries ;
- Cookies that store certain user preferences (such as your language choices).
We use analytics cookies to record usage data about our users (e.g. which users have visited which of our subpages, etc.) and to evaluate this information statistically. We use this statistical information about your use of our website to make it more user-friendly, to understand our market share and to conduct other market research.
Third Party Advertising Cookies / Third Party Pixel / Third Party Tracking
We also allow third parties to collect our users' data through advertising cookies or pixels placed on our website. These cookies allow us and other third parties to provide you with interest-based advertising that is based on an analysis of your usage behaviour (e.g., which banner ads you have clicked on, which subpages you have visited, etc.) on the internet and our website.
To this end, we work with various authorised service providers; and we use analytics tools (e.g., cookies) in our website. However, these tools will not use your IP address, or (if they do), they will shorten it immediately after collection (which means that it will be less clearly linked to your device). These tools will also generate user profiles by using analytic cookies or by evaluating log files; however these user profiles will not be linked to your real world information and will not name you.
The providers of these tools process your personal data as our processor in accordance with our instructions and not for their own purposes. However, in some instances, providers may act as a separate controller. As such, their respective privacy policies apply. You should also review these policies for further information about the types of activities they carry out.
If you want to access eharmony without advertising and analytics cookies and other web tracking mechanisms, you can disable them by clicking here. If you do, we will only place strictly necessary cookies on your device i.e. those cookies that are necessary for the use of the website.
Alternatively, you can disable cookies on your device via your browser settings; and you can erase any cookies already stored on your device at any time in your browser (see Technical Notes for more information). Please note, however, that if you choose to disable or remove cookies and other web tracking mechanisms, doing so may prevent certain features on our website from working properly and therefore effect your experience on our website. In addition, you may not be able to use all the features of our Service if you disable or remove cookies and other web tracking mechanisms.
For further information and help with cookies and other web tracking mechanisms, please see www.YourOnlineChoices.com.
What analytics and advertising cookies and other web tracking mechanisms does eharmony use?
eharmony does not use the Google Analytics Advertising Features.
Google Ads Conversion Tracking
We use an online advertising program, “Google Ads”, and as part of this program we use Google Ads Conversion-Tracking tool. Google Ads Conversion Tracking is an analytics service provided by Google Ireland Ltd (with registered office: Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland) ("Google"). When you click on an ad served by Google, a conversion tracking cookie will be placed on your device (such as your computer, tablet or smartphone). These cookies expire after 90 days. Once you click on the ad, if you then visit certain web pages on our website before this cookie has expired, this cookie will enable eharmony and Google to recognize that you clicked on the ad and that you were redirected to that webpage. Each Google Ads customer receives a different cookie from Google.
We use this information to generate conversion statistics, so we can understand the total number of users who have clicked on our ad and were redirected to one of our webpages (a conversion tracking tag webpage). However, we do not receive any data that identifies you.
Google Ads Remarketing function
We use the online advertising program “Google Ads” and, as part of this Google Ads Remarketing (evaluation of user actions). The Google Remarketing function is an analytics service provided by Google Ireland Ltd (with registered office: Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland) (“Google”). This feature enables us to target eharmony website visitors by displaying personalised, interest-based ads to these visitors when they visit other websites in Google Display Network, or use Google's or a partner's search engine. Google uses these cookies to analyse the use of webpages, in order to create better interest-based advertising. To this end, Google will store a small file with a sequence of numbers in the browsers of eharmony users. This sequence of numbers is used to record the number of user visits and other information about how our website or Service is used. If users subsequently visit other websites in the Google Display Network, or use Google's search engine (or that of a Google partner), eharmony will display advertisements to those visitors as Google will predict that such visitors will be likely to be interested in our advertisements.
We use fraud prevention services to detect and help prevent fraud in connection with our Services. These services are provided by a third-party service provider based outside the EEA, iovation Inc., 555 SW Oak Street #300, Portland, OR 97204, United States.
For more information about how iovation Inc. processes your data, please see the description here.
You can find a complete overview of the web analytics tracking mechanisms that we use here. We have described the intended use of each tracking mechanism, as well as other important information.
For further information and help with cookies and other web tracking mechanisms, please see www.YourOnlineChoices.com.
Appendix: Technical Notes Cookies
(Please note that you may use eharmony completely ad-free via the URL tfv.eharmony.co.uk)
You can find further instructions regarding cookie management on Internet Explorer at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies#ie=ie-11-win-7
You can find further instructions regarding cookie management on Mozilla Firefox at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
You can find further instructions regarding cookie management on Google Chrome at https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647
You can find further instructions regarding cookie management on Safari at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac