eharmony - United Kingdom
Thank you for using eharmony!
Please note that we offer our Service (as defined below) in different countries and as such, you understand that the information included in your profile will be visible to our members in all of these countries. You can see the list of these countries on our website. You will also be able to search for a partner in any of these countries, not just your own country. We offer our Services outside the United-Kingdom in the USA, Australia, and Canada.
You can find information about data processing in connection with Cookies and other tracking technologies when using the eharmony website and app in our cookies & tracking policy.
Table of Contents:
- Contact / Data Controller
- Collection, processing and use of personal data
- Processing purposes
- Legal basis for the processing of personal data
- Transfer of data to third parties; service provider
- How do we protect your personal data?
- Duration of storage; retention obligations
- Rights of the data subject at a glance
- Social Media
- Cookies & tracking technologies
Contact / Data Controller
If you have any questions or suggestions about how we use your personal data, please contact us or our data protection officer.
Our contact details are as follows:
eHarmony UK Ltd., Customer Care, BM Box 5904, London WC1N 3XX, United-Kingdom, firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail)
You can reach our data protection officer at:
Dr. Stefanie Wegener, email@example.com (e-mail)
Our EU Representative is:
PE Digital GmbH, Speersort 10, 20095 Hamburg, Germany
Collection, processing and use of personal data
Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (e.g., name, address, phone number, date of birth or e-mail address). When we say that we process personal data, this means that we collect, store, use, transfer to others or delete such data.
eharmony collects and processes your personal data exclusively in the following cases:
- If you visit us on our website without being a member.
- If you contact us directly.
- If you install our eharmony app.
- If you subscribe to an eharmony membership (paid or free) and then use eharmony.
Once you have signed up for an eharmony account, we will provide you with access to an online database over which you will be able to get know other eharmony-registered customers (also known as members). In order to provide you with the eharmony service as described in the General Terms and Conditions (the “eharmony Service” or “Service”), we need to use your personal data. If you do not want us to use your personal data or parts thereof, we will not be able to provide you with the Service. You will also need to provide us with special categories of personal data (i.e. sensitive personal data, such as information about your sexual orientation). Please see below for further information about the types of personal data eharmony collects when you use our Service.
Data processing through app stores
Before you can install our app, you may have to enter into a user agreement with an app store operator (e.g. Google or Apple). Our app is available on different app platforms, depending on your particular operating system.
In order to install and use our app via these app stores, you will need to have a valid account with the app store operator as well as a compatible device (e.g. a smartphone). eharmony has no control over the collection, processing and use of personal data in this respect. The relevant app store operator will be the sole data controller of this information. If necessary, please contact the operator of the respective app store directly for information about their data processing. eharmony is the data controller with respect to your personal data only when you use the eharmony app.
What personal data does eharmony collect from its members to fulfil the contractual relationship?
In order to register for the eharmony Service and conclude a Basic Membership or a Premium Membership, you will need to provide us with the personal data described below. In addition, in order to provide you with our Services (as more fully described in the General Terms and Conditions), we need to process this personal data.
In order to register for eharmony’s free Service (i.e.,conclude a “Basic Membership”), you will need to provide us with personal data, without which the registration cannot be completed. These data are:
- Gender and sex of partner sought (your sexual preference is a data regarding your sexual orientation and therefore sensitive personal)
- Email address
If you have chosen to log in via a third-party provider such as Facebook or Apple, you do not need to enter an email address or a password during the registration process. You can access eharmony’s Service respectiely with the email address and the password you have indicated (your access data) or alternatively via the third party provider’s login data.
During registration via Apple ("Sign in with Apple")
You can register to join the eharmony Service using your Apple-ID. If you choose to do this, we will receive the information that we need for your registration directly from Apple. In this respect, a data transfer takes place. Apple enables you to share the email address associated with your Apple account with eharmony or hide it. If you hide your email address, we will receive a randomly generated unique email address from Apple for the creation and use of your eharmony account. Our communications will be sent to this email address and automatically forwarded by Apple to your email address, if you have not deactivated forwarding of eharmony emails.
Please be aware that we have no control over the type and amount of information that Apple collects about you when you register for our Service using the Apple login. If you do not want Apple to collect information about you in relation to your use of our Service, you should not use the Apple login.
You may dissociate your eharmony account from your Apple-ID at any time in your profile on our website. In this case, we will need your access data, as mentioned above.
During registration via Facebook ("Facebook Login")
eharmony uses the “Register with Facebook” business tool with the add-on “Data Access Function,“ through which you can register to join the eharmony Service using your Facebook account. If you choose to do this, we will receive the following authentication data for your registration directly from Facebook: the email address that is associated with your Facebook account, your profile name and your profile picture, of which eharmony only stores and processes the email address. In this respect, a data transfer takes place. Your Facebook profile name and profile picture are not stored or processed by us but are automatically deleted.
You may dissociate your eharmony account from your Facebook-ID at any time in your profile on our website. In this case, we will need your access data, as explained above.
Data required in connexion with a Basic Membership
Our Service works by providing your profile information (“profile”) and your compatibility scores to other eharmony users. In order to get the full benefit of our Service and to set up your eharmony profile, we will ask you to provide us with data about yourself. This may include information about your personal values and preferences, your appearance, and any other characteristics that are relevant for us to establish your personality profile and to recommend potential partners (“matches”) to you. When designing your profile, you will also need to provide us with information about yourself, including text and photos. In addition, we also collect information about you when you provide your answers to the eharmony test (“compatibility quiz”) and we will use this information to automatically create your eharmony personality evaluation (“personality profile”). Please note that, although you will be able to read your personality profile and compatibility scores in your profile, your personality profile is not generally publicly visible to other eharmony members. Instead, those members who directly access your profile information will only have access to extracts of your personality profile and your compatibility points.
When we ask you to provide us with information about you during the registration process, we make it clear when such information will be kept private and will not be made available to other users. Please note that your specific answers to eharmony’s compatibility quiz are generally kept private, however, the compatibility scores that we generate from your answers are made publicly available to other members. Additionally, the information you voluntarily provide for hobbies and interests within the quiz will be visible to your matches in your profile, but you may update or delete this information at any time. All other information you provide us with for or as part of your eharmony profile will be publicly visible to other members on our website and our app, such as information that you voluntarily choose to include in your profile, especially your first name, place of residence / postal code, and your interests.
We will not be able to suggest matches for you if you do not provide us with the requested information relating to your sexual preferences (i.e. both preferred sex and gender), or the other information requested as part of the eharmony compatibility quiz. If you do not want to provide us with this information, you will not be able to use our Service.
Generally, the types of data that we will collect during the registration are as follows:
- Residence/postal code
- Country of residence
- Date of birth
- Full name
- Number of children
- Marital status
- Education level
In addition, you may choose to provide us with sensitive information such as:
- Political view.
By giving us this information, you agree that we store and use this information for matching purposes. This information allows us to further refine the match preferences and search criteria available to you when searching for a partner on our platform. This information will be disclosed in your profile, and therefore, visible to matches who visit your profile. However, please note that you do not have to provide us with this information in order to use the eharmony Service, and you may change your answers to “prefer not to specify” in the religion, ethnicity and/or political view fields at any time in your profile.
You may also upload photos of yourself in your profile, whereby other members may see, next to your first name, your photos clearly (i.e. unblurred version) in your profile or in a blurred version via email. Please note that you do not have to upload any photos in order to use the eharmony Service. You may upload photos to your profile at any time, even after you completed your registration or already used the Service for a period of time.
You do not have to provide us with your mobile phone number in order to use the eharmony Service. However, if you want to, you can provide it to us for an additional security measure (known as “SMS verification”). This functionality is available to all our members but only after logging in to our eharmony Service. This will allow us to carry out a further identification check to make sure that you are the right person to be using your profile – please see more on this below.
Upon Completion of a Premium Membership
If you decide to sign up for eharmony’s Premium chargeable features (“Premium Membership”) via the website (i.e. you decide to become a Premium member), we will collect your payment data during your order. However, please note that your credit card data is not stored by us, but is instead stored by a third party payment provider.
Communication with members, communication with our customer care and communication via video chat
If you correspond with other eharmony members through the eharmony platform, or with eharmony customer care, we will collect and store this information. The messages sent between members via our Service are end-to-end encrypted.
If you contact our customer care, please note the following: if you communicate with our customer care:
- using the online contact form: the content of your message to us will be encrypted in transit; provided that your email provider supports Transport Layer Security (TLS) transfer encryption.
- via email: the content of your message to us will only be protected in transit via TLS transfer encryption if your email provider supports TLS transport encryption.
Please note that, in principle, communications between you and eharmony will only be conducted via the email address associated with your eharmony account. Members who are registered via Apple and have hidden their email address will only receive communications if the automatic forwarding function is activated through Apple. Please bear in mind that Apple does not inform us whether you have activated the forwarding function.
If you would prefer not to contact our customer care by email (for example, because you are concerned that your email provider does not support TLS encryption or the content of our email is not encrypted), please contact eharmony by post or fax instead. You will find our contact details under Contact
As a Premium Member, as well as in some promotions for Basic Members, you have the opportunity to communicate with other members via video chat in selected countries. For this purpose, eharmony uses a service provider based in the USA with whom eharmony has a data processing agreement. eharmony transfers your IP address and your profile ID to this service provider when using the video chat feature. The service provider also stores data regarding the time and duration of any video chat calls. This data processing is necessary technically and for billing purposes. The video communication is encrypted end-to-end. Video and audio content is not stored. eharmony does not collect or transfer any other data in connection with video chat. If you do not want eharmony to transfer your IP address and your profile ID to its service provider, or do not want the time and duration of the chat to be stored, you should not use the video chat function.
Promotional emails - Messages
When you subscribe for our free membership (“Basic Membership”), you must enter your email address on the welcome page, or we receive your email address from Apple/ Facebook (if you register via a third party login). Unless you opt out in the registration process, we will use this email address to send you promotional emails about eharmony’s free and for-purchase products.
In your profile under “Notification options,” you can also choose to receive personalised matches and guidance during your eharmony membership, to help you to get the most out of the eharmony Service.
As long as your email provider supports “Transport Layer Security” (TLS) transport encryption, these promotional emails (including our personalised guidance) are protected in transit via TLS transfer encryption.
You can object to our use of your email address for promotional purposes or personal guidance, upon registration or later at any time, either by: (i) clicking on the link in our emails to adjust your email notification settings, (ii) adjusting your settings in your profile under “Notification options”, or (iii) contacting us using the information in the Contact section. Members who have not yet completed the compatibility quiz may use this link for an objection. You may re-subscribe to receive such emails in your profile under “Notification options” at any time.
Within the use of the app, you may receive "push messages" from us, even when you are not currently using the app. These will either contain messages that we send you as part of our Service, or they may contain advertising information.
You can stop receiving push messages or adjust your settings at any time by changing the configuration settings of your mobile device or in the eharmony app.
What information does eharmony collect when using the eharmony website?
Every time you access the eharmony website, we will collect your usage data. This means that, even if you have not signed up to be a eharmony member, we will collect and use this information about you. This data is sent to us by your Internet browser and is stored in log files. This data includes:
- Information about your browser type and your internet service provider, as well as your operating system (for example Windows 7, Apple OS, etc.)
- The IP address (Internet Protocol address) of the device you use to access our website or Service (for example, your computer, tablet or smartphone). We will also compare your IP address against a geo-database to collect information about your location, such as your country, state and city.In this context eharmony uses MaxMind (see explanations below)
- Information about the page that you have accessed
- The date and time that you used the website
- The referrer URL (origin URL) from which you came to the page that you have accessed
- Statistics about the amount of data transmitted during your use of the website
- Status message as to whether you were successfully able to access the website
- Session identifier
- Session participant´s pseudonym
- Screen resolution used on your device
Each time a eharmony member logs in to our network, we also collect their eharmony user identifier.
While using the website, and in addition to the data mentioned above, cookies or pseudonym IDs (such as user-ID, ad-ID) may also be stored on your device, when you visit, or after you visited, our online content. You will find specific information about this in our cookies & tracking policy.
What information does eharmony collect when using the eharmony app?
Every time you access the eharmony app with your device, eharmony automatically collects data and information from your device’s operating system. This includes, among other things, the storage of your IP address. In detail, eharmony collects:
Every time you access the eharmony app, we will collect your usage data. This data includes:
- The operating system used to access the app and, if necessary, the browser type
- Your current language setting in your device
- Information about your Internet service provider
- The IP address (Internet Protocol address) of your device
- Your Device ID (e.g. UDID, IDFV) to identify your device for a secured authentication
- Your User identifier on the eharmony platform (only for eharmony members)
- Information about the part of the app that you have accessed and, if applicable, the webpage you accessed previously
- The date and time that you used the app
- Statistics about the amount of data transmitted during your use of the app
- Status message as to whether you were successfully able to access the app
- Session identifier
While using the app, and in addition to the data mentioned above, tracking technologies or pseudonym IDs (such as your AD-ID (e.g. the Apple IDFA (Identifier for Advertisers) or the Google Advertising ID) may also be stored on your device, when you visit, or after you visited, our online content. You will find specific information about this in our cookies & tracking policy.
We also collect the following usage data each time an eharmony member logs in to our network (“login records”):
- Date and time of login
- User identifier on the eharmony platform (your e-mail address)
- IP address (Internet Protocol Address)
- Device ID (e.g. UDID) to identify your device for a secured authentication.
While using the app, and in addition to the data mentioned above, pseudonym IDs (such as user-ID, ad-ID) may also be stored on your device, when you visit, or after you visited, our app. You will find specific information about this in our cookies & tracking policy.
GPS data when using the app
If a Premium Member turns on the "radius search" option, we also collect location data about their device (such as GPS, possibly WLAN information, and device ID) to determine their location. This information will be used to allow the Premium Member to set a suitable search radius to look for other members.
What information does eharmony process when you use the eharmony platform?
Part of our Service is providing you with potential partners (“matches”). These matches are presented to you in your profile and via notifications (e.g. emails), with the following information: first name, age, place of residence or postal code, a photo, compatibility score and a link to their profile. Please note that we may present you at any time as a match to other members, including those based outside the UK and/or using one of our other eharmony platforms. As such, your first name, age, place of residence or postal code, photo, compatibility score and a link to your profile will be provided to these members. In general, Basic Members will see only your photos blurred, but may be able, in some instances, to see your photos clearly. Premium Members will see your photos clearly.
In your profile, under “Notification options”, you may choose to receive notifications from us (e.g., emails or push messages) to alert you when there has been activity in your account (e.g. you have received a new message or we have new matches for you). Please note that if you do not choose this notification option, your matches who have requested notifications may still receive notifications related to you (e.g., when you send them a new message or we send your profile as a suggested new match). As such, and as mentioned above, your first name, place of residence or postal code, photo, age, compatibility score and a link to your profile may appear in such notifications.
You may also request to be informed about: (1) which matches visited your profile (“visitors of my profile”) and/or (2) if your matches are currently online (green circle if they are online, or grey circle if they are not). Please note that if you do so, the same information regarding your activity will be available to your matches who have also selected these notification options. As such, and subject to a match’s notification settings, (1) a match whose profile you visited may be informed of your visit, and (2) your matches may be notified when you are online or offline.
In addition, you are able to see the last time a match was online (“last time online”), and your matches are also able to see when you last logged in. This feature is set up automatically and, for technical reasons, cannot be deactivated.
Eharmony offers members who have met their partner on the eharmony platform the option of publishing their love story (success story) on the eharmony website or, if consent is given, on other media. These success stories are available for all eharmony members and visitors to see online in the “Success stories” section of the eharmony website.
Your personal data in connection with your success story is processed subject to your prior written consent.
In this case, the following data is stored by eharmony:
- Profile ID
- Email address
- Title, first name, surname
- Any pseudonym (if the name of a member was changed in the success story)
- County or place of residence
- Any photos of the couple
- Information on children
- Telephone number
- The success story
- A link to where the success story and any photo(s) are published
The following data is made available online: First name, any pseudonym, age, occupation, county and your love story.
You will receive further information on the processing and/or storage of your data in connection with your love story within the framework of instructions for giving your consent.
eharmony processes the personal data of its users for the following purposes and legal bases. If data processing is based on the legal basis of a legitimate interest, we will also explain our legitimate interest in data processing to you below:
- To provide the eharmony platform and thereby perform our Services as described in our General Terms and Conditions.In particular, this includes:
- Provision of our website for non-registered users;
- Use of our website and app for registered eharmony members;
- Ability to contact other users and respond to requests via the platform;
- Facilitation of the conclusion of a contract, incl. invoicing;
- Sending emails and/or push messages regarding matches or other contractually relevant messages.
- To provide a login via the eharmony platform, Facebook login or Apple login. (The legal basis of processing is contractual necessity.)
- For the prevention of and defence against abuse. eharmony automatically collects, processes and uses personal data and geodata we collect during your registration and the completion of the eharmony compatibility quiz and/or your eharmony profile, to check for any evidence of the misuse of the platform. This information is stored in a database and compared against empirical values and information. If our automated processing activities suggest that our Service has been misused, an eharmony employee will review the relevant rating and underlying clues, as well as the information in your profile (including any wording and photos you have provided) to confirm whether this is the case. In addition, Customer care representatives perform profile checks to check members’ profiles that have been reported by other members through the function “suspicious profile?” or as having breached our General Terms and Conditions. Furthermore, as mentioned above, if you have provided your mobile phone number, eharmony may use this information to carry out an identity check (SMS verification),(i.e. to check that you are who you say you are). (The legal basis for these activities is the legitimate interests of eharmony and our eharmony members, to ensure that the eharmony Service is not used in a way that is in breach of our General Terms and Conditions and/or the law. In doing so, we also comply with our legal obligation regarding data security to guarantee system security and to detect and trace unauthorised access attempts or accesses.)
- For automated price determination reasons. In principle, we do not use fully automated individual decision-making in accordance with Article 22 GDPR, but we do process some of your data automatically in order to offer you suitable products. The following data is used for this purpose: age, income, registration device (app or website ). (The legal basis for these activities is contractual necessity as well as our legitimate interest in contacting our users through targeted and individual communications.)
- To ensure that you comply with your obligations under your subscription and our General Terms and Conditions, including your payment obligation (which concerns only Premium members). If you do not pay outstanding invoices / instalments despite repeated reminders, we will transfer the data that are required for the execution of a debt collection procedure to a debt collection service provider for the purpose of fiduciary debt collection. In the event of disputed claims, we also transfer any necessary data to our payment services providers for the purpose of asserting our rights (e.g. within the framework of conflict resolution for chargebacks). (The legal basis for these activities is the legitimate interests of eharmony to ensure that (as applicable) you provide the agreed payment for our Service in accordance with your subscription.)
- For the protection and defence of our rights and the fulfilment of legal obligations. (The legal basis for these activities is the fulfilment of our legal obligations and our legitimate interest in asserting and defending our rights.)
- For the purposes of sending advertising relating to our own products through promotional emails and/or push messages, newsletters, surveys and personalised guidance. (The legal basis is our legitimate interests in relation to sending direct marketing about our own products. The legal basis in some instances is also your consent.)
- To comply with statutory retention obligations and other statutory or legal obligations and provisions (e.g. in connection with tax audits, official or judicial orders for information or other purposes). (The legal basis is the fulfilment of our legal obligations).
You will find the processing purposes and legal basis for the processing of personal data regarding the use of “cookies” and other tracking technologies when using eharmony in our cookies & tracking policy.
Legal basis for the processing of personal data
- Where we obtain your consent as our lawful basis of processing, our legal basis is point (a) of Article 6(1) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
- Where the processing of special categories of data according to Article 9(1) UK GDPR is required, our legal basis is point (a) of Article 9(2) UK GDPR - your consent.
- When the processing of your personal data is required to fulfil our contractual relationship (either in relation to Basic Membership or Premium Membership), our legal basis is point (b) of Article 6(1) UK GDPR. This also applies to any processing that is required to carry out any pre-contractual actions.
- When the processing of your personal data is required to fulfil a legal obligation, our legal basis is point (c) of Article 6(1) UK GDPR.
- If the processing is necessary to safeguard the legitimate interests of eharmony or a third party, such as our members, and the interests, fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject do not override those legitimate interests, our legal basis for the processing is point (f) of Article 6(1) UK GDPR.
- When the processing of personal data is required for our own marketing (either in relation to Basic Membership or Premium Membership), the legal basis for the processing is point (f) of Article 6(1) UK GDPR.
When the legal basis for processing is your consent, you are entitled to withdraw your consent at any time. However, this withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out on the basis of your consent before your withdrawal. If the legal basis is a legitimate interest, you are also entitled, in general, to object to the processing of your personal data, at any time, for reasons arising from your specific situation. Article 21 UK GDPR applies in this respect.
Transfer of data to third parties; service provider
In the following cases, personal data may also be transferred to third parties:
- to service providers, if the data is required for the fulfilment of their data processing agreement with us;
- any providers of marketing tracking technologies and analysis tools (you can find out more about this in our cookies & tracking policy;
- where we are obliged to do so by law, a regulator or an enforceable official order;
- in connection with legal disputes (vis-à-vis courts or our lawyers), debt collections or audits (vis-à-vis chartered accountants/tax auditors);
- relevant investigating authorities in connection with possible criminal offences;
- in the event of the sale of the business (vis-à-vis the purchaser).
Transfers to service providers
eharmony may use service providers when collecting or processing your personal data. eharmony will ensure that service provider only receive that portion of your personal data they need for their specific activity.
Generally, the service providers that we appoint are engaged as our processor and may only use the personal data of our membersin accordance with our instructions.
Please note that if you purchase a Premium Membership over the eharmony app, eharmony will not process any payment. In this case, the app store operator will be responsible for handling the payment process.
Transfer of data to non-European countries
eHarmony may disclose your personal data to third parties or to our processors who are located outside the UK and European Economic Area (“EEA”) (collectively, “Europe”). When this happens (and before disclosing your data) we ensure that the recipient has an adequate level of protection to enable the lawful transfer of your data. For example, this may be because the recipient is in a country that a competent authority has determined offers an adequate level of data protection in accordance with Article 45 UK GDPR; or has entered into the standard data protection clause s; or (where permitted by law) because you have expressly consented to this transfer.
We can provide you with an overview of recipients in third countries and a copy of agreed-upon regulations regarding ensuring an adequate level of data protection. Please use the information provided under Contact for this purpose.
How do we protect your personal data?
Eharmony uses a variety of security measures, including state-of-the-art encryption and authentication tools, to protect the security, integrity and availability of our customers’ and users’ personal data. In particular, these measures include the following:
- Strict criteria for the authorization to access your data as well as random 2-factor authentication,
- Storage of confidential data in encrypted form,
- Firewall protection of IT systems to prevent unauthorized access,
- Permanent monitoring of access to IT systems to detect and prevent the misuse of personal data.
In this context, we recommend that you familiarise yourself with eharmony's security tips when using the eharmony service. Here you can find more information on this topic.
In this context, eharmony also uses service providers from the USA. In particular, the following service providers are involved:
In order to secure this website and optimize loading times (SSL certificate) we use a "Content Delivery Network" (CDN). This CDN is a service of Cloudflare, Inc, 101 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA. Therefore, registration and login requests are routed through the Cloudflare server and consolidated into statistics that cannot be deactivated.
We have an agreement with Cloudflare for order processing, based on EU Standard Contractual Clauses.
Here you can find information about the data collected by Cloudflare.
Eharmony uses the GeoIP2 Precision City geolocation service from MaxMind, Inc, Waltham, MA, 14 Spring St., Suite 3, Waltham, Massachusetts 02451, USA. With this service, we use IP addresses to determine approximate location/geolocation data based on the country of origin. No personal data is exchanged with MaxMind. Here you can find further information about MaxMind.
Duration of storage; retention obligations
We store your data for as long as is necessary for the provision of our Service (Basic and Premium Memberships) and any associated services or where we have a legitimate interest which permits the further storage of that information. In all other cases, we will erase your personal information once it is no longer necessary, except for any information we need to retain in order to comply with any contractual or statutory (e.g. tax or commercial) retention periods (e.g. invoices).
Data that is subject to a mandatory retention period is blocked from deletion until the end of that period.
For Basic Members: You can choose to remove the data in your profile at any time. You can also erase your profile data yourself (when you have completed the compatibility quiz) by logging in to the eharmony website and starting the deletion process. Otherwise, eharmony automatically erases personal profile data of Basic members who are inactive for 24 months.
For Premium Members: Your personal data will be stored for the duration of our contractual relationship. However, we will erase your data following your request as long as there is no legal storage obligation that applies to that information. If your data is subject to a mandatory storage period, we will ensure that this information is isolated and stored until the expiry of the retention period. Once your Premium Membership is over, if you do not ask us to erase your data before your Premium subscription comes to an end, your Premium Membership will be converted into a Basic Membership. In this case, the description above relating to the retention period of Basic members’ data will apply.
If you uninstall the eharmony app on your device, this will not delete the data in your profile. The above statements related to the deletion of Basic Members’ data and Premium Members’ data also apply here.
Log files are stored by eharmony for 30 days and then deleted. Log files whose further retention is required for evidentiary purposes are exempt from deletion until the incident is finally resolved and may be forwarded to investigative authorities as appropriate in individual cases.
Please note that if the deletion of your data is prevented due to a mandatory retention period, your data will be blocked and stored for no other purposes, until we can delete it.
Eharmony will also store any personal data which is required to demonstrate that eharmony has lawfully complied with a valid data subject rights request within the required period.
Rights of the data subject at a glance
You have the right to access, and -under certain conditions- to rectify, erase, restrict or object to the processing of your personal data, as well as the right to data portability.
You can also object at any time to the processing of your personal data for advertising purposes ("object advertising "). Please take into account that for organisational reasons, there may be a time lapse between when you submit your request and when we are able to remove your data from an ongoing campaign. Please also note that your objection will not affect the lawfulness of any processing that occurred prior to the date on which you objected to this activity.
By using our Service, you will have provided us with information about your sexual orientation (such as your gender and your sexual preferences). You can withdraw your consent to our use of this information at any time. However, please note that any withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of such data prior to the date on which you withdrew your consent. In addition, once you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer be able to provide you with matches or our Service.
By using our Service, you may have provided us with sensitive information about your religion, ethnicity and/or political view. You can withdraw your consent to our use of this information at any time. To do so, you should change your answers to “prefer not to specify” in the religion, ethnicity and/or political view fields (as appropriate) in your profile. However, please note that any withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of such data prior to the date on which you withdrew your consent.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights, please use the information under Contact. Please also ensure that when you do so, we will be able to clearly identify you.
Alternatively, you may use the setting options in your eharmony profile to rectify certain information that you provided during your registration or to object to advertising.
You can also delete your data or your complete profile from an eharmony Basic Membership yourself in your profile (if you have completed the eharmony compatibility quiz). To do this, log in to your profile on the eharmony website and delete your profile under Data & Settings / Profile. Alternatively, Basic Members can contact our customer service using the information under Contact and request the deletion of their data. However, please note that Premium Members can only delete data regarding their Premium Membership by contacting our customer care.
Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
You have the right to file a complaint with a data protection authority. If you are located in the UK, you can contact the UK’s data protection authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office, at: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Telephone Number: + 44 (0) 303 123 1113, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are located elsewhere in Europe, you can contact your local data protection authority or our appointed data protection authority. This is:
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, The Hamburg Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information, Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Caspar, E-Mail: email@example.com
In general, if social media plugins are used, the provider of such plugins will store cookies. However, the social media buttons that we use on our website contains only text links to the respective social media pages, they are not properly a social media plugin. Therefore, eharmony will not transfer any data to the respective social media providers. The operator of the social media page is responsible for compliance with data protection law. You can get more information about their data protection practices in their respective privacy policies.
Cookies & other tracking technologies
You will find information on cookies and other tracking technologies that are used on our website and in our app in our cookies & tracking policy. If personal data is processed in connection with tracking-based processes, you will also find detailed information on the reasons for doing so there. Information on how to object to this type of data processing is also provided in our cookies & tracking policy.