What is love? Find out why love can be the greatest feeling
Have you been patient, kind, protective and trusted someone with your heart? Have you experienced the feeling of opening up to someone - all those parts of you that are messy, complicated – because you needed to be comforted? Love can be beautiful, sweet, pure, unpredictable, and painful all at the same time. So, what is love? The simplest definition of love is the connection and comfort you share with someone.
Table of Contents
The different definitions and variations of love
How do you know you’re in love with someone? And if you do know, can that love be measured? You cannot be demanding or selfish in love. It has to be ‘real’ and should allow space and freedom. Love is in the smallest things, yet it is so much more. It comprises a host of feelings, emotions, and attitudes. Let’s look at love in an all-inclusive, holistic approach and understand the different perspectives.
What is love historically? Understanding the concept of love in ancient times
Love covers a wide range of emotions and conducts. History offers a prevailing concept of love – it is a cultural invention and we are not at the end of its evolution. In ancient history, love is defined as the emotional attraction between individuals. It is expressed in aesthetic pleasures such as art, dance, music and nature. Do you think people around the world have fallen in love the way we do now?
Religious views on love – love is respect. It is giving space for all
Love takes on different variants and to some love is equal to God. To make a relationship thrive, mutual respect, space, great chemistry, quality communication, and also sometimes similar religious or spiritual beliefs becomes important. Having different faiths does not imply you wil have problems in a relationship. Sharing similar values, worldviews and faith is a strength.
Definition of the psychology of love – explaining deep bonds
FAlling in is associated with increased energy, narrowing of mental focus, sometimes sweaty palms, light-headedness, raching heart and a lot of positive feelingssays psychologist Dr Rachel Needle.
Romantic love in particular is a beautiful yet complex mystery. In psychology, love is classified into three components called the Triangular theory. They are intimacy, passion, and commitment – when these needs are met, couples bond well.
The biological basis of love – science behind the attraction
Love is chemistry and your brain can release a whole set of chemicals that can influence different emotions. Love has the power to heal – our body seeks love and responds positively to interaction with loved ones. It can influence our health and wellbeing.
According to biology, there are three major drives in love: libido, attachment and partner preference.
What is love in reality? What factors go into finding real love?
Love can be overwhelming, inspiring, and supportive. The most intense and healing form is true love. It is unconditional and makes you feel seen and heard. Does unconditional love exist? Yes. Here’s a list of signs that will help you recognize ‘real love’.
The 8 essential aspects of real love
- Mutual respect: Respect for each other is the most important factor in sustaining love. It does not fade away during difficult times. It allows enough space for personal growth and you treat each other as equals.
- Trust: A relationship minus trust will be dysfunctional. When you trust someone you will have the comfort to confide in them. Trust helps in building love.
- Acceptance: Valuing and tolerating difference is equally important.When you learn to appreciate each other’s qualities and be compassionate before judging your partner’s vulnerabilities, the relationship will be beautiful. In real love, you acknowledge differences instead of trying to change your partner.
- Selflessness: Love is all about caring about your partner’s needs as much as your own. To appreciate real love you must be able to put aside your selfish desires and learn to appreciate selfless gestures.
- Companionship: Love is about having someone to share our lives and to be on our side through thick and thin. When you genuinely like each other, enjoy spending time together, and share common values and views, then the relationship can stand the test of time. You feel safe with each other.
- Effortless attraction and passion: When you are truly in love, you never have to “try” to spice things up. There is no need to convince or coerce anything on each other. You know you’ve created a deep, lasting connection when there is an intense longing to be with each nother. Lasting love requires time, effort, and commitment but nothing is forced.
- Good teamwork: If you’re not keeping score and instead focus on inspiring each other then you two make a great team. When you can identify shifts in moods and energies and respond affectionately, positive feelings grow. A loving partner provides plenty of emotional support and tries to meet all your needs.
- Compatibility: Lastly, love is also about compatibility – sharing values, beliefs, and life goals. In a romantic relationship, when two individuals are completely in-sync, a long-term partnership is possible.
Love is never rushing into relationships –try eharmony for real love
Love brings with it a host of positive vibes – it can make you happy, grateful, hopeful and inspired. But often, people find themselves in a situation where they’ve fallen in love with the wrong person. Rushing into relationships is always a mistake.
eharmony paves the way for real love. With personality tests, compatibility assessments, potential match recommendations, and pre-designed icebreakers, we have a holistic approach to online dating. We have developed time-tested matching tools based on the psychological principles of attraction. With engaging profiles, you feel like you know the person before you even start talking. Our smart scientific algorithms are known to forge meaningful connections, and our success stories are a testament to the fact that real love exists.
Finally, what is love? Real love will always encourage you to be positive and grow
It is not a driven by fate, it is something you put effort into and cultivate. In love, you accept someone wholly, the good and the bad, and this feeling encourages you to grow as an individual. A compatible relationship unfolds uniquely. Find someone who is compatible and truly deserves you. Take that first step to finding true happiness and love today with an eharmony membership.