While the Fringe may be what first comes to mind, it’s certainly not all this gorgeous city has to offer, especially when it comes to dating in Edinburgh. The best whisky (not whiskey) in the world and great nightlife to match, fascinating history and beautiful views are just some of the things Edinburgh singles can look forward to. And with nearly half (48.91%) of the city’s population being single, there’s never been a better time to search for a partner.
Why Edinburgh singles aren’t huge fans of traditional dating
One big downside in Edinburgh? The relatively small size of the dating pool means that’s it’s more than likely that your date will have a connection to your ex. Plus, Edinburgh singles are known to be a little on the reserved side, which means it can be a little challenging to find someone on the Edinburgh dating scene.
That said, don’t be discouraged. The right person for you is out there, it just takes a little time and perseverance – and a willingness to step out of your comfort zone – to find them.
How to meet singles In Edinburgh
There’s so much to do in this city that it makes meeting new people a lot easier. Here are some recommendations for the best places to encounter singles:
- Go somewhere other than your local: Go to a different pub? Blasphemy, we know. But varying your surroundings is a great way to meet fellow singles.
- Take a class: Whether a cooking class, a yoga class, or something more traditionally academic, acquiring news skills is a great way to maybe find a forever study buddy.
- Explore the outdoors: Take advantage of living in one of the most beautiful places on Earth and sign up with a hiking club, where you can also meet like-minded others.
Why you should start dating online in Edinburgh
While there’s still a lot to be said for finding your partner the traditional way, more and more singles are taking their search for love online. Going online means that singles in search of a relationship don’t have to just stick to Edinburgh options. Instead, they can look further afield. Plus, looking for love online gives people the chance to get to know their partners before committing to an in-person date.
On eharmony.co.uk, words are even more important than pictures
When you’re looking for something real and lasting, a picture isn’t enough – you need words, too. Which is why with eharmony, your user profile, in addition to being beautifully designed and easy to read – is long and comprehensive, giving you the information you need to really get to know any potential partner.
You can upload multiple photos and show off all the different aspects of your personality. Prefer words to images? That’s what the ‘Personal Quote’ (conveniently located at the top of the page) and the ‘What’s On My Mind’ sections are for. Upload a quote to give visitors a sense of your personality, and add status updates to let them know what’s going on with you.
eharmony takes the stress out of filling your profile, with a series of short, carefully curated questions that tell any potential partners all about you.
There’s also a ‘Who Am I’ page with answers to four important questions – ‘I’m Thankful For’, ‘Best Life Skills’, ‘Things I Can’t Live Without’ and ‘My Friends Describe Me As…’ for anyone who wants a great conversation starter.
Great Edinburgh first date ideas
- For a fun, light-hearted first date, head to Camera Obscura where you can have fun exploring dozens of mind-bending, brain-scrambling illusions.
- Scotland is known for its great whisky, but the gin’s pretty darn good, too. Try a tour of the Edinburgh Gin Distillery for first date.
- Plan a picnic and a romantic walk around one of the city’s secret gardens, like Dunbar’s Close or Dr Neil’s Garden.
- Or if you’d rather explore indoors, an afternoon spent touring one of Edinburgh’s many art galleries and museums is a great way to add a touch of culture to your date.
Singles, it’s time to write your own love story in Edinburgh
There are so many things to see and do here and who knows? You might just meet your other half while on a hike or at a new pub. Or if you’d rather not trust your love life to chance, sign up for eharmony and get one step closer to your perfect match today.